The Prisoner of the Castle of Enlightenment
A historical fantasy novel by Therese Doucet, published by D.X. Varos (February 4, 2020).
Paperback $17.95 | ISBN 978-1941072622
E-book $6.99 | ISBN 978-1941072639
Audiobook edition coming soon!
- Buy at your local indie bookstore
- Amazon (paperback | Kindle)
- Barnes & Noble (paperback | e-book)
- Apple iBooks
- Publisher direct
- Find the paperback at your local library (or request that your library purchase it)
- Check out the e-book from your library’s Overdrive catalog (or request that your library purchase it)
A lover in and of the darkness …
Violaine, a devotee of books and learning, is sold by her father to a mysterious nobleman to become his companion. Fearing herself at the mercy of a monster, she instead succumbs to the seductive spell of her magical new home, and the love of a man she has never seen, who comes to her only in the darkness of night.
The Château de Boisaulne is a place of many mysteries, but also a refuge for children of the Enlightenment in a time when Europe still languishes under the repressive chains of monarchy and superstition. But modern thought meets ancient lore, as the castle borders the forest lair of the roi des aulnes, an ogre said to be the ancestor of Violaine’s unseen lover … Or are they one and the same?
About the Author
Therese Doucet’s publications have included fiction, essays, poetry, and literary translations. She is a former Fulbright fellow, as well as a creative writing residency fellow of the Virginia Center for Creative Arts. She divides her time between Washington, DC, and Knoxville, TN. Learn more …
- Washington Writers Conference, May 9 2020 (I’ll be a panelist for the session “Hybrid, Small, Big: Which Kind of Press Is Right for You?”)
Caroline Bock, author of Carry Her Home, Before My Eyes, and Lie
Jeff Jackson, author of Destroy All Monsters and Los Angeles Times Book Prize finalist
Joe McGinnis, Jr., Kirkus Prize finalist and author of Carousel Court and The Delivery Man
Past Blog Entries
- Quick Q&A on The Prisoner of the Castle of Enlightenment(This Q&A was cross-posted on Goodreads.com.) Just wanted to respond to a few questions that potential readers have asked about my new book, The Prisoner of the Castle of Enlightenment, which was released Feb. 4, 2020 – and I'll keep … Read more
- Pre-Orders Are Live!I’m happy to announce that pre-orders for The Prisoner of the Castle of Enlightenment have gone live! The book is a historical fantasy novel forthcoming from publisher D.X. Varos on February 4, 2020. Where to order: Amazon Barnes & Noble … Read more
- Today’s Inspirationvia: fripperiesandfobs: Reproduction “Diana, goddess of hunt and moon” Georgian fancy dress From the “Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens” exhibition at the Museum of London via Vogue and Worn Through